Of Margazhis and Color Kolams

My earliest memory of Margazhi traces back to when I was around 8 or 9 years old. Every morning when I used to go to Hindu Tuition, I'd be glancing the kolams in front of each house and decide on who had the best kolam of the day. I'd come back home and dutifully report about the winner to anyone who'd listen and urge them to go see it! The colours, the strokes and the perfection of it all together fascinated me. 

Margazhi colour kolams were a tradition in our home too, but in a slightly different schedule. Given that Amma was working and had to start to work as early as 6 in the morning, we'd put our kolams the previous night. Amma would draw the kolam, while me and my brother would colour them, and Amma does a final touch up. 

I still remember the almost-torn yellow-paged big book which had hand drawn kolams by paati. That would be our reference. My brother and I took turns on choosing the kolam for each day, but some of our choices were shunned by Amma because it was too complicated to draw and colour.

The way we'd finish off dinner as early as 8:30PM during those 10-15 days, and how Amma would wear a scarf on her head to protect from the cold, then clean the floor with water, let it dry for a few minutes, and then go about drawing the kolams - all these are still etched in my memory like it happened yesterday.

However, after I moved out of Neyveli, this whole practice died down, and I never really drew a kolam for a long time. I had always appreciated and admired the people who effortlessly drew it, and wished I'd also master that art one day. But I never took a step towards that practice until very recently. Last year, all of a sudden (not quite sure what was the exact reason), I picked up some interest in kolams, and wanted to practice them. 

For day-to-day kolams, sikku kolams are my absolute favourite. Their patterns and strokes would drive you crazy, and your whole kolam is ruined if you make one small mistake. But they look so good when drawn right. I liked the challenge it gave, and took it upon myself to practice them. Incidentally I also got a book exclusively for these sikku kolams from a book fair. From then on, its mostly been a sikku kolam everyday at my home. Sometimes I practice on a notebook earlier and draw outside the house, and sometimes I straightaway draw on the floor. There have been days where I have messed up (happens when don't fully concentrate or are in a hurry to finish off or when you're so overconfident that you don't refer to the book while drawing) and had to redo the entire thing, but I love doing it. Love how my strokes have improved, and are flowing from fingers naturally. 

So this almost year long practice has boosted me to give a shot at the Margazhi colour kolams this year. Today is day 1 of Margazhi and I managed to put a kolam late in the morning. But for tomorrow, I'm taking my mom's route of previous night drawing, and have done the work for tomorrow already. Involving the kiddo with this is also nice. He likes colours, so I give him the choice to choose the colours he'd like me to use. He needs to grow a little more to be able to handle the colouring on his own.

I shall add an edit with all the pictures of the kolams I've managed to draw in this year's Margazhi season :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2½ Years!

Happy 4 to us!

Kudremukh!