Whatsapp Forward Parithabangal

Have you ever set up a Whatsapp Account for your parents and had them come back to you a week later saying their phone has become slow?

I have. Every single week, my dad comes back to me saying his mobile has become very slow and is getting drained out of battery every other hour.

No prizes for guessing what the reason is. Yes, it is because of the huge loads & loads of data and videos and pictures that are being circulated in Whatsapp Groups and Chats which get downloaded on to his mobile & apparently reduces its speed.

It is seriously startling to see the amount of unwanted, irrelevant, running-to-multiple-pages forward messages being shared in Whatsapp.

You install Whatsapp for, say, your dad or mom. Once in, there is a Family Group, their work group, a neighbours group, old friends group, ex-colleagues group, extended family group, people of the same town group, etc etc. and in most cases, more than half of the members are common in all these groups i.e., a friend may be both in old friends group, ex-colleagues group, people of the same town group etc..Phew!! Enna koduma sir idhu!!

Above all, the messages in these groups are either birthday or anniversary wishes or, forward messages. There is almost never a proper conversation happening in these groups. When it comes to forward messages, I have observed the following types -

One, which comes with the tagline, Share it if you are a Tamilian, Share it if you are an Indian, Share it if you are Human, etc. -  What the hell is this? If I don't share it, am I not an Indian or what?!

Two, Share this to 10 people within 10 seconds and your wish will be fulfilled, else bad luck will be bestowed upon you - Like seriously people?!

Three, which goes something like, "Don't be selfish and share it with everybody so that all of the people are benefited" - First of all, I am not sure about the authenticity of your message and I have nothing at all to benefit from this message, then why should I forward it?

My dad (and a lot more people of his age) having received all these kind of messages, painstakingly reads through and believing it to be true, forwards to the rest of their contacts / groups. And now somebody who has received this message from my dad, will again start forwarding it and it keeps landing into my dad's Whatsapp again and again.. One vicious cycle this is!

These messages are not necessarily only text messages, they can be images as well videos. Things only get worse with images and videos as they get downloaded into the mobile and eat up the storage space. So, by the end of one week, I see my dad's phone literally flashing Low Storage Space, please do a Disk Cleanup. And when I go into the gallery, I see 300 videos and 3899 images under the Whatsapp folder. My mind voice be like "Ipdilam irundha phone en slow aagama irukum?"

After all the clean up, and exiting him all the unwanted groups, I give a 15-minute gyaan to my dad asking him no to download any videos or messages in the group. But the next week again, every thing goes back to square one. My dad is added back to all those groups from which I had removed him and the whole mobile is about to crash due to lack of storage space

Tired with having to delete every single conversation manually, this time, I decide to uninstall Whatsapp and re-install it. While re-installing it, I consciously skip the restore, so that all the old conversations are not coming up again. My Whatsapp is as good as new now, with zero data. The only downside to this is, I may lose out on some valuable data, if any, that had been shared earlier. But that's fine. I can always go back to the person who sent and ask them to send it again.


Believe me people, 99% of the content that is getting circulated as forward messages in Whatsapp is untrue and fake. Please and pretty please, THINK before you forward and STOP forwarding those messages!

~~End of rant~~

P.S.: If you are someone who's been sending me forward messages, please note that I may use the block chat option anytime. I'm seriously frustrated !

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2½ Years!

Happy 4 to us!

Kudremukh!