2018 - The year that was!

What I do even say about this roller-coaster of a year?! (Well, every single year seems to be a roller-coaster for me. But this one steals the show, as I have, after so many years taken up a new hobby / activity)

Looking back now, 2018 was really kind to me. Some of my long pending wishes and dreams did see the light this year. Jotting down some of the moments (both good ones & the really testing ones) I want to cherish.

1. Marathon Running (the new hobby I had taken up) - So after close to 3 years of procrastination, this year finally saw me on the roads, running. Stats point out that, I had ran almost 800 km this year (was targeting for 1000km, but could manage only this much - Bad Discipline. Something to work on in 2019)
I competed in two marathons. One in Kodai, at the beginning of the year, of 21km distance and the other in Malnad, in October, of 50km. Both of these have been amazing in their own ways. Looking forward to running more in the coming years.

2. Mumbai - Oh, my 7-year long dream! I had wanted to visit Mumbai for so long now, and witnessed it this year. Mumbai absolutely has all my heart <3 (But surprisingly, only after Chennai. Chennai will be always be my most favourite) A 5-day trip in Mumbai with my friend, was all the break I needed to get back to the routine life, all rejuvenated. The Marine Drive, Bandra Fort and Girgaum Chowpatty Beach were my favorites. The long hours spent sitting on the Marine Drive and Chowpatty Beach, staring at the sea and listening to Ilayaraja songs, memories for life!

Worli-Sea Link as seen from Bandra Fort

3. Treks - I went on two treks this year. Kumaraparvatha & Kodachadri - Western Ghats, Karnataka. Kumaraparvatha - it was my first trek back in 2015. I could feel how much I had changed since I had last visited that place. From having to literally crawl the uphills, and stopping every 50 metres to catch my breath, I was now climbing along with a 5kg backpack effortlessly. Thanks to all the hill running practices. However, because of the supposedly bad weather, we couldn't make it to the peak. But we did have some good time at the stream enroute, which I hadn't gone during my previous hike.
Second trek was Kodachadri, with its mighty Hidlumane Falls. Whoa! An out-and-out monsoon trek. Rains, mist and greenery all around. I have always been obsessed with the places in Western Ghats, especially the ones in Karnataka, and Kodachadri did not disappoint me one bit. However, the next time I want to go there in summer just to see if you can actually spot the Arabian Sea from the peak.

Enroute the peak at Kodachadri

4. First long (if I may say so) bike trip - Chennai -> Hosur -> Mysore -> Ooty -> Salem -> Chennai
This was sure one of the highlights of the year because it helped me know that I can manage to stay on the saddle for quite sometime (say, about 5-7 hours for day) without dozing off. And the Mysore Palace was quite a marvel to the eyes. The long halls, the paintings, the architecture, the antique furniture, the Durbar. Everything about this place screamed Royalty. Somehow, it kept reminding me of King Krishnadevaraya from Tenali Rama (I know its totally unrelated, but its the first thing that comes to my mind whenever I think of Kings, Courts, Durbar Halls. I love the stories of Tenali Rama)
The route to Salem from Ooty via Kothagiri is something that'd stayed etched in my mind forever. The long winding roads and the cultivation. I just want to go to Kothagiri someday and walk around the fields, just taking in the whole scenery. Even though no picture can do justice to what I had seen with eyes, here is one picture for you !

Kothagiri

As always, the finish line is dedicated to Venky, without whose support most of this wouldn't have been possible. And also, all thanks to CTC for making me step out of home and inspiring me to explore the world.

Overall, thank you 2018 and Welcome 2019! Wishing everyone a very Happy New Year!!

P.S.: I had finally got my Car-driving license this year (People who know me well, sure know why I have put up this postscript)

Comments

  1. Looks like you hit the ground running in 2018 quite literally. Also you went back to work in an office. Great experiences, well written!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post! Well written... Good pics... I want to visit these places too now..

    Btw, when you say you took a bike trip, does that mean you know how to ride a bike!?!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! My husband drives, I'm just a pillion rider

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2½ Years!

Happy 4 to us!

Kudremukh!